Pickup Asia Forums

Taipei Approach w/RedPoleQ Aug'17 More Than My Money's Worth

moonshot

On the first weekend of August 2017 I had the privilege of having RedPoleQ (and McConnell) teach a master class in approach in Taipei, Taiwan.

My exposure to 'Game' started one fateful day in 2011 when a guy doing pick up followed my girlfriend into a bar where I was waiting for her. While my relationship with that girl eventually soured, he became my best friend! Over the years this guy shared his progress and insights about Pick Up with me. He introduced me to RedPoleQ and some alumni around September of 2015 and I remember being struck with how positive and happy they seemed. All this time I thought I was doing fine with girls. Doing a boot camp was always in the back of my mind, but it wasn't until some recent achievements and dating setbacks, that I realized it was finally time. I'm glad I did. I would rank this experience as one of the pivotal decisions in my life, up there with graduating from University, deciding to study abroad in a foreign country, becoming an expat, learning foreign languages, and broadening my horizons by traveling the world. That may sound like a bold claim - I thought I was coming in to learn a few simple techniques and structure to get better with women - but got so much more.

I'm the third of four children, the product of two Mid-western lapsed-Catholic city slickers who gave up the big city for the suburbs of a small city. I'm in my early 30's now, but by 15 I'd reached my maximum stature of five feet four inches tall and weighed 130 pounds. This sentenced me to irrelevance. Where I went through puberty, athletic prowess, determined social hierarchy. My high school graduating class had 150 people - throw in cystic acne, Evangelical Christian morality of the community (my public sex ed class consisted of being shown a video of birth, no instruction about contraceptives), low self esteem, and... well it's a minor miracle I'm still alive. I retreated into computers and the Internet, which combined with the off-line world to teach me a lot of bad habits and a overall poor world view. Boot camp has put me on the path to break those habits and come to terms with the past.

Deciding to do boot camp was a no-brainer. As my best friend said: "You aren't invested in this. You aren't putting in the time, you aren't taking my advice, and have the wrong frame of mind." He was right and he made the best argument, "Look, you can spend tons of money the rest of your life fucking up dates, fucking up approaches, or you can take a boot camp and start doing better." I knew I needed some adjustment and accepted that part of my personality needed to change, but when I got the confirmation email I realized I couldn't answer half the questions. The concepts were so foreign. I was so used to just accepting whatever girl who came along or whatever I could get off the Internet, that I never had an "ideal type." Before doing camp I didn't understand this 'inner-game'. Looking back now on many interactions and dates with girls in my past, I just wasn't into them and through boot camp I can start exploring what I want.

The structure of the camp is perfect. In each briefing, I felt like I was sitting in front of Socrates, challenging my conception of the world and when I didn't get something, which happened quite often, RedPoleQ tried different approaches until I got it. It's perfect because you're not overwhelmed with everything all at once. You get to see the master in action and think, "Wow, I want this guy's skill." Then, he puts in you the game and he's there, along with McConnell, as your biggest cheerleader and personal coach. He's completely supportive, offering constructive criticism because he wants you to succeed - something I never experienced in dating. Weeks later, when I'm talking to a two-set, it's like he's there just out view calling out what I should do next.

Boot camp might be a weekend, but you get a RedPoleQ spirit animal (for life?).

Great to finally have you join the crew!

It was super fun hanging out and winging you during the bootcamp. It was clear that you made a lot of progress and changed your frames quite a bit over the weekend. Nice work.

Looking forward to seeing you around Taipei more and hearing about future successes :D

• 2 weeks later...