Pickup Asia Forums

Smoove's Seoul Bootcamp - November 2016

Smoove

Approach Mastery Bootcamp

Seoul

November 2016 Bootcamp

Instructor: RedPoleQ

About me

I first learned about pickup about eight years ago, starting with Double Your Dating and The Game. I’ve read a lot of stuff since then but never really went out and open cold sets. Only since coming to Korea did I start approaching girls, if only occasionally.

Coming to Korea, I used Tinder and HelloTalk a lot to to meet girls. I had some success, but I knew I needed to eventually go out and talk to women. My main obstacle to cold approaching was fear. Still, I knew there are skills to be learned in the field that I wouldn’t be able to get just by using dating apps. I felt like I needed a good push and lots of help. Hence, I took the bootcamp.

Well, having now taken it, there is a clear difference between before and after. I now go out on weekends and game at night. It’s something I thought I wouldn’t be doing, but here I am. And I’m loving it :)

A lot has happened during the bootcamp. I’ll write some of the lessons I’ve learned.

Structure

The nice thing is that there was structure to this game. Specific steps during the conversation that have a specific purpose. I’m a very, “What do you I say? / What should I open with? / What do I say next?” kind of guy.

Being pushed into sets

On my own, it was a challenge to overcome fear and open sets. But there’s a certain energy that comes with having someone tell you to go for something. With RPQ by my side, he would tell me who to open and what to say. Perfect! The first day in Itaewon we started off easy.The second night at Octagon was intense, opening one set after another.

Persistence

I tend to eject out of a set easily. At the first sign of disinterest, I’m quick to bail. With RPQ there, it’s the first time I really pushed through a conversation waaaaay longer than I thought was possible. My limits were pushed further and further. To my surprise, the girls didn’t run away and kept talking. This is a realization I probably wouldn’t have gotten on my own.

Kino

Kino is something I enjoy doing, and I believe a powerful tool in game. Being touched in a friendly manner feels good. What I learned is that I can take kino way further than I thought. For example, I typically talk from a distance with a girl. But in a bar and club, RPQ showed I can go much closer, literally right next to her side. This is what I do now when I meet a girl in high energy environments like bars and clubs: I open her, and while talking I move right next to her, shoulder-to-shoulder but in a V shape (it’s hard to talk if side-by-side, and being directly in front of her can be threatening). In this position, I put my hand on her back while we’re talking. Then Martin showed me that in this position I can have my leg against the back of her leg so that there is even more kino. I remember in Club Octagon I was talking to a girl, and I could feel someone moving my arm onto the girl’s back (I forgot to do so). It was RPQ! Haha talk about stealth.

Wing game

This is so much fun. We learned how to introduce a wing into the set and check up on how they’re doing. The key things to communicate are: 1. Who your target is, 2. How the set is going, 3. If your wing is ready to bounce the girls.

“How’s it going?”

“Ah, it’s alright.” = having difficulty with my target.

“It’s going awesome!” = I’m into my target too, and it’s going well.

My issue after the bootcamp was that I kept forgetting to check up on my wingman during the set. My wing let me know, and after a couple of sets of practice I got it down.

Qualification

As preparation for the bootcamp, we were supposed to think deeply and write about our perfect lifestyle, our perfect self, and the qualities in a woman that would fit that. The exercise made us think about the qualities we seek in women. When we meet them, we can now ask questions to see if she matches up with these qualities. Qualification is something I read about in books before, but never really put into practice. Now I see how valuable it can be. It shows the woman that we are we are looking for something beyond looks. We seek out her unique personality traits, and if we like them we tell her. I mean, how many other guys in a club are doing that?!

Explanations

We were on the main Gangnam strip. As my wing opened two girls with flowers, I saw that the target was enjoying the interaction but her friend wasn’t. RPQ was right next to me explaining the situation: the wing didn’t open the entire set. He focused on talking with just one girl, and the other girl felt left out. Had he engaged all of the women, he would’ve had a better chance. Seeing this unfold live and having someone explain it to me was “Aha!” moment.

Intelligent, thoughtful answers

Anytime I had a question, RPQ would think for a moment and then answer. I was impressed by the breadth of his knowledge and experience. Furthermore, he taught a lot of specific details he knew about Asia and Korea that were different from Western game.

Post-bootcamp Community

If bootcamp was the cake, the community is the sweet icing. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting many intelligent and driven guys in the alumni group. They’ve been through what I’ve been through and make great wings because they all know the procedure. On my own, it would have been difficult to keep up the momentum after the bootcamp. In fact, I saw myself slip a little, “Ah, not in the mood to go out…” But seeing my wings go at it made me want to do so, too. It’s been three months now and I’ve gone mostly every weekend since then.

Tips if you’re thinking about taking the bootcamp:

- Open as many sets as possible! Getting feedback from RPQ is invaluable.

- Record yourself during your sets. This is something I wish I had done.

As tired as you are, write down quick notes about how the day went. There’s so much action in a small amount of time, it’s easy to forget all the sets and lessons learned.

- Take the bootcamp with fresh eyes. In the field, listen and do everything RPQ says even if you disagree with it. Later during the debrief you can offer alternate points of view. This will save you valuable time. The clock is always ticking.

- Write your post-bootcamp FR as soon as possible! It’s easy to forget key details as time goes on.

- Think about your sticking points and prepare lots of questions before attending. This is the time to ask.

- I wish I had taken the bootcamp earlier! Ideally within the first few months of coming to Korea. Simply because I would have gone out way more often, instead of relying on Tinder.

I feel such a sense of relief. Taking action and going out lifted my burden of, “Man, when am I going to start approaching girls?” I go out now, often alone, and don’t need to rely on dating apps. Instead of working on a small set of girls online, I can now play in the massive playground called Seoul.

• 2 weeks later...

Great having you on board bro!

This is just the beginning -- if you keep going out, asking questions about your sticking points, and applying the advice as consistently as you have been since taking the bootcamp, you're going to crush it.

Sent from my SM-N920S using Tapatalk