Pickup Asia Forums

L.O.G.O.S.

Hahaha

I like your criticisms.  I haven't read Maps of Meaning, but it is on my list.  I'd be keen to see how the book differs from the lecture.  He adds in new material regularly, so I imagine that the lectures are more interesting.  

I think that you missed one key aspect of what he teaches though and maybe that's because it wasn't emphasized in the book or maybe that's because of what you just didn't think was very important.  One of the best insights as far as I'm concerned is how our actions are aims nested within larger aims, nested within larger aims that become more abstract.  

So that successful person, has good career, good friend, good brother, good sister, etc nested inside and then each of those has other aims nested until you get down to particular actions.  I thought this was a great way to look at your life and allows people to constrain their negative emotion better by making clear distinctions between parts of your life that aren't going well and those that are and being able to analyze things at the most useful resolution levels.

So his concept of "resolutions" for me, has been one of the most valuable tools I've started using.

The other part of his model that I found very useful, you also described but quite differently from how I took it in from watching the lecture series.  The dual positive and negative aspects of the individual, society and culture, and nature.  Thinking of this as the world that we have to navigate and essentially when you encounter chaos, it is because one of those things has manifested what we see as an anomaly because our existing mental model didn't account for that particular phenomenon.

I like the process of analyzing which of those things is the cause of whatever misery you might be experiencing and then reconstructing a new mental model based on the information you got from that phenomenon.  The fact that evil can be broken down into those categories, makes it far easier to contend with because it means that problem is somewhat constrained.

As far as your application to game, I agree with everything you've written and I glad that you took the time to share this with all of us.  I'm looking forward to your write-up on Nudge, too!

Thanks for the reply.

Yep, the "resolutions" part was not contained in the book at all.  I learned that from you, actually, and it's very important!  I'll definitely check out those lectures when I have time, I just hope that I can find stuff about that theory elsewhere, because I find watching videos and lectures too slow.

Maps of Meaning is ideal if you are very interested in these theories and want lots of in depth analysis, meaty material and tons of examples/quotes from the continuum of western thought.  If you just want the essense of the theories to apply immediately, best to move on to his later stuff probably.

On 7/20/2018 at 1:20 AM, L.O.G.O.S. said:

I find watching videos and lectures too slow.

Though I generally agree with you, I think that in the case of Jordan Peterson, his material is so dense that I don't find it slow at all.

And here's the link: