Pickup Asia Forums

BOOK 12 Rules for Life - Jordan Peterson

I read this book off the heels of Maps of Meaning because it was being talked about so much around here.  I wanted to see how it was different from Maps of Meaning and what else JP had to say.  Since so much of this is covered in my review of Maps of Meaning, this review will be very short and will mainly be a comparison to that book and to other "self help" books.

12 Rules for Life is essentially this:  JP's philosophy, mixed with random life stories and avuncular wisdom, hurled at the kitchen wall and stuck in random clusters around 12 "rules".  This is in no way a negative statement, actually, I liked this approach.  If you are looking for a thourough treatment on his philosophy and wanted to derive these principles yourself, as well as get into the nuts bolts and scholarship behind the philosophy, read Maps of Meaning.  If you are looking for basic rules to live life by, backed by the wisdom and experience and philosophy of someone like JP, read this book.

JP isn't strict with what he covers under every rule - the philosophy and stories he uses to expand the rules meander around and bleed into one another and then somehow end up coming back to the rule.  He basically crammed and distilled his philosophy and some stories around some rules, because that is what most people want.  This includes me, because I got something diferent from this book than I did from Maps of Meaning.  I found myself coming back to the rules after reading it and applying them in my life, whereas after Maps, I found myself exploring the ramnifications of his massive theory.  Two different effects from two different formats.

This book is far superior to other so-called "self books".  Why?  Because the rules are based off of tons of life and theraputic experience, backed by scholarship and philosophy.  This isthe thinking man's self-help book, and it works for those who need a dose of intellectual wisdom behind the stories that support the rules.

In a sentence, if you are looking for the essense of JP's philosophy, some stories, and some pithy Mark Twain "tell it like it is" wisdom, read this book!  You can get into the nuts and bolts in Maps of Meaning later (the book.  I can't comment on the video series yet).

Great review.  I also liked this book a lot, but some people who weren't familiar with his stuff, didn't enjoy the book and felt that the stories were annoying and didn't help support his rules.  

I thought it was great though...basically an applied version of Maps of Meaning.

On 8/2/2018 at 2:06 PM, RedpoleQ said:

Great review.  I also liked this book a lot, but some people who weren't familiar with his stuff, didn't enjoy the book and felt that the stories were annoying and didn't help support his rules.  

I thought it was great though...basically an applied version of Maps of Meaning.

Yeah, his stories are pretty random and tangential sometimes.  I didn't mind - it's like listening to a brilliant uncle ramble about and eventually come back to the point.  Some people might be bothered by it though, especially if they aren't used to JP.